Thursday, May 8, 2008

Excuses, Excuses

I don't know about anyone else, but I always feel the unreasonable need to excuse my child's public behavior when it is less than desirable.

When she was an infant screaming in the middle of the frozen food aisle at the grocery store, I would blush and whisper, "She has reflux."

When she was 11 months and throwing tomatoes wildly from our shopping cart, I would fume, "She skipped her morning nap."

When she was 18 months and managed to repel herself out of the shopping cart and begin running up and down the Canned Vegetable / Canned Seafood aisle like little orphan Annie on amphetimines, I would bluster, "So I guess this is what they mean by too much sugar."

When she was two and things really got interesting, the excuses in the grocery store moved to blaming the molars, growing pains, an ear infection, and any other host of excuses that made her actions seem a little more forgiveable.

Though I can certainly see myself stating, "She has low self-esteem" after she gets a bad progress report for organized crime at the high school level, I am not sure why I feel the need to do this. What do I care what other people think?

I'm not a perfect parent nor do I think I am the worst either (did you hear about the guy who accidentally shot his son when he mistook him for a turkey while hunting?...sheesh....he really makes me look good). But something in me wants to let every one know that she is an awesome kid, despite the occasional outburst or moody blues.

Does anyone else do this?

I am trying really hard not to excuse it, and just stay focused on what is really important: figuring out the best way address the phase of the month and reassuring myself that everyone has their bad days.

Until I master it, however, we will be taking a time out from the Shop Rite in Mullica Hill (shout out to Stefanie and all the other cashiers).

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hey, we all want everyone to think that our kids are the best at everything. I do the exact same thing. I've actually left full shopping cart in the middle of the aisle and left the store carrying a screaming baby with my head hung low.