U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Thursday praised an Army soldier in eastern Afghanistan who drew media attention this month after rushing to defend his post from attack while wearing pink boxer shorts and flip-flops.
In fact, Gates said he wants to meet the soldier and shake his hand the next time he visits Afghanistan.
"Any soldier who goes into battle against the Taliban in pink boxers and flip-flops has a special kind of courage," Gates said in remarks prepared for a speech in New York. "I can only wonder about the impact on the Taliban. Just imagine seeing that: a guy in pink boxers and flip-flops has you in his cross-hairs. What an incredible innovation in psychological warfare," he said.
Army Specialist Zachary Boyd, 19, of Fort Worth, Texas, rushed from his sleeping quarters on May 11 to join fellow platoon members at a base in Afghanistan's Kunar Province after the unit came under fire from Taliban positions.
A news photographer was on hand to record the image of Boyd standing at a makeshift rampart in helmet, body armor, red T-shirt and boxers emblazoned with the message: "I love NY." When the image wound up on the front page of the New York Times, Boyd told his parents he might lose his job if President Barack Obama saw him out of uniform.
"I can assure you that Specialist Boyd's job is very safe indeed," Gates said in the speech. The U.S. defense chief was scheduled to deliver the speech at New York's annual Salute to Freedom dinner in Manhattan.
I'm going to kind of blog as I go....but I have to take a break midway to Skype.....
1) I forgot how much I like David Cook...time to hit iTunes.
2) Why do they do the "awards portion" (aside from needing to drag out the broadcast in the interest of more advertising spots)?
3) After watching Kris Allen duet with Keith Urban, his adoreableness just quadrupled....perfect match-up.
4) OH MY!!! I was just beginning to get really weary of Kara, but she totally redeemed herself!!! Outsang...and out bikini-ed!! Loved it!
5) The girls and Fergie are on....wow, she's wearing a short skirt and that camera man is daring. Careful, careful....Wait, the Peas are at and the screen went out....did someone die or, worse, flash us? What the hell happened??
5) Ahhh!! I just got off a Skype session and Steve Martin is on stage! What did I miss?? What happened?
6) Hold on...Julie just Skyped me something about Kiss and Adam and Allison and Cyndi Lauper....oh, and Danny and Lionel Richie!! And Julie said Adam was good....ahhhhhh, I missed it!!!
7) Oh, dear. Rod. Why? He might as well have worn the spandex singlet from "If You Want My Body...."
8) Is that Janice Dickinson in the audience? I didn't know they sold meds at the ticket window....or had an open door policy on morons.
9) I am not entirely sure the Tatiana thing was a joke...but I am now certain there IS an open door policy on morons,
10) Gee....they're ending with Freddy Mercury. I wonder WHO inspired that???? This is unfair. What a set-up....and Kris knows it. He's clear just a guest on the Adam show.
1) Did people boo Kara during opening introductions? Ouch.
2) Will the celebrity lovefest over Adam have the same effect of said involvement in politics, thereby derailing Adam's chance of winning?
3) Will this season come down to better singing ability?
Adam's "Mad World": One of my favortie performancs...haunting in fact. Great choice, great performance.
Kris Allen's "Ain't No Sunshine": Another one of my absolute favorites and, though I am trying to look at them with new eyes, I still have to cast my vote for Kris in the first round. So well done....Ha! Simon just agreed with me!
Adam's "A Change is Gonna Come": Why would they pick a soulful song for Adam? You need to have a husky voice that usually requires years of whiskey drinking and hard livin'. He sounded awesome, but his voice is much better suited for different music....He still did amazing, though, they just could have given him a better song. Wow, he's got serious range.....
Kris's "What's Going On?": Another weird song choice, and another great performance despite. I have to give this round to Adam though I like Kris's "interpretation" (a word that the judge's have completely ruined for me).
Adam's Final: Okay, this is bad...what is that Adam Sandler quality in his voice? Not every song needs to be sung with these over-the-top histrionics! Oh funny....John just asked me why I was listening to Whitesnake. Awful song, mediocre performance.
Kris's Final: His voice is better suited for this song...understated and sweet. Again, awful song, good performance. Kris won this round.
There has never been a season where the judges have so clearly favored a contestant from so early on....and either I am deaf or I just don't get it. His vocals are indisputably phenomenal, but it is theatrical and not an album I would buy to LISTEN to.....is that weird?
The following is from the US Government Peace Corps Manual for its volunteers who work in the Amazon Jungle. It tells what to do in case you are attacked by an anaconda. This is what the manual said:
1. If you are attacked by an anaconda, do not run. The snake is faster than you are. 2. Lie flat on the ground. Put your arms tight against your sides, your legs tight against one another 3. Tuck your chin in. 4. The snake will come and begin to nudge and climb over your body. 5. Do not panic 6. After the snake has examined you, it will begin to swallow you from the feet and - always from the end. Permit the snake to swallow your feet and ankles. Do not panic 7. The snake will now begin to suck your legs into its body. You must lie perfectly still. This will take a long time. 8. When the snake has reached your knees slowly and with as little movement as possible, reach down, take your knife and very gently slide it into the side of the snake's mouth between the edge of its mouth and your leg, then suddenly rip upwards, severing the snake's head.