Tuesday, July 8, 2008

On The Horizon

Just the other day a letter arrived from my daughter's preschool. The letter welcomed the new families, reminded us about the approach of the school year, and nearly made me lose my lunch.

Though preschool will only mean two 3 hour days a week, what I thought would provide some freedom for me and a new opportunity for my daughter is actually making me a little heartsick....and it isn't even close to September yet.

I guess that little knot in my stomach is really just about the fact that she is moving on as she grows up. I've heard rumblings from others about the need to let them go and give them wings with which to fly (shout out to Kahlil Gibran), but I'm just startled by my mixed feelings.

And, even worse, how the heck am I going to handle kindergarten when six hours a week has me nauseous??

The answer: Shopping and wine. Lots of it. And maybe at the same time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the memories this post stirs up. Though it was almost four years ago, I remember Katy's first day of preschool like it was yesterday. Despite having seven-month Reilly in tow and a list of errands to run, I spent the entire three hours thinking of nothing but her. It was very odd having this little person, whose care and well-being had become my entire life, out of my care, and embarking upon her own journey. I think particularly with your firstborn, as a stay-at-home mom, it is a very bittersweet rite of passage. You will find, though, that you quickly get used to it, and that those precious six hours fly by very quickly! ( Just think... grocery shopping with just one!) Having just made it through Katy's kindergarten year, though, I am a little sad to report that each new stage is still a bit jarring. We both cried on the first day; I had to hold on to my tears long enough to get her through hers and on to the school bus. And I fully anticipate that first grade will be just as emotional, with her huge transition to all-day school. I was a wreck her last week of school this year, mourning the loss of little-kid status. Ah, the emotional journeys we go on with these little ones, especially our first born. :) Reilly's first year of preschool also just ended, and for better or for worse, it was much easier (on me) than Katy's. So there is hope! Can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

Julie Weaver said...

As I'm about to do the same with my third, I can tell you it doesn't get any easier...in fact, I think letting go gets a little more difficult with each child, knowing that these sweet days in my life are numbered.

Remember this is just one of many the "firsts", and you'll be fine.