Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July- Reflection

I have always been a big fan of 4th of July as nothing quite signifies summer like barbecues, fireworks, and frosty beverages.

This year was no different.

Special thanks to the D'Ostilios and the Schmidts for including us in their celebrations, as we thoroughly enjoyed both.

The D'Ostilios graciously introduced us to the annual Woodstown 4th of July parade. Something out of a Rockefeller painting, we joined the throngs lining Main Street to watch the trail of bands, tractors, emergency vehicles, mascots, and Vets meander through town. The weather was just right, and the tradition of throwing candy to the crowds made for one of the best times my daughter has ever had. Thanks also for the subsequent sugar high (and low) that followed not too long after.

The parade experience was so American, so idyllic, and everything 4th of July should be.

The Schmidts also helped to make our week a great celebration as we enjoyed something that is so quintessentially 4th of July: good food, good friends, and good times. Though my clepto daughter managed to pilfer a souvenir from their buffet table, my little man certainly appreciated Jason's grillwork (he ate an entire cheeseburger).

The highlight of the weekend, however, had to be the moment my car died. After the barbecue, I got the kids packed up and decided to make an exit at a sensible time to avoid a later exhaustion-induced confrontation over having to leave. Happy about the good time spent, elated that we were escaping without any major catastrophes (we had a close one with a pile of doggie poop-- shout out to Karen), and just as I was about to pat myself on the back, the car wouldn't start.

This is not the first time this has happened, but I am all but demanding it be the last.

Needless to say, my panic over transporting my munchkins safely to their bed was assuaged when I was rescued by my husband's friends who gave me a jump and sent me on my way...shout out to Mike, Scott, Jason, and Greg.

Why is that the high point? Because I learned something.

Men + Beer + Buddies + Grills + Bag-O + Something that needs to be fixed = A Perfect Party

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend as we did...

No comments: