Monday, April 21, 2008

Profile of a Parent


Name: Amanda- "mom...mom... mommy...MOMMY" in that order and never less than four times.

Mother of: Lily Ann 2 1/2, and Charles "Charlie" 2 weeks

What You Did Before You Were Someone’s Mommy: I was a full time MRI technologist. I plan on returning to work part-time.

What You Do For Yourself Now:
I am home on maternity leave enjoying my new son. And potty training my 2 yr old. Is that something that I do for myself? Also, I am on the job training for my part-time stay at home mom position. I am trying to be at home with a 2 yr old and NOT let her watch "Dora the Explorer" and "The Wizard of Oz" on a loop.

What is your favorite thing about being a mother? I love all the crazy things my daughter says. I love that when I get her up in the morning and she tells me I look like a princess, even though I'm wearing an old nightgown, covered by an old bathrobe. I love my son's newborn, soft, fresh skin on my skin. And I love that when I pick Lily up from school she runs up to me, wraps her arms around me and tells me that she missed me.


What is the one thing you wish you’d known before you had children? Just how many happy hours I would truly be missing. And how it takes a short 9 month period to transform from a party girl to a designated driver and mommy.

What would you do with an extra free hour in your day? Get a pedicure. Yes everyday I would get a pedicure.

Who are your go-to people when you have a parenting question? My mother, she never judges the crazy talk.

What is the one thing your child(ren) do that always makes you smile? When I ask Lily if she is beautiful...she always, always answers "no I'm happy". And I'm sure when my little man begins to do something other than eat, poop, and sleep (in that order) it will make me smile also.

Who is your favorite fictional mother? I'm having a hard time with this question. But it would be the perfect combo of beautifulness, sexiness, having it all togetherness, unpretentiousness and a little bit of craziness (just to keep it real) . Does that exist...fictional or nonfictional?

If you could be someone you know for a day, who would it be? My husband. You all know that when I return to haunt this earth, I will most definitely return as my husband. He has the best life ever. Although I must give him props because without him I would be in a loony bin right now.

If you could ban people from doing something, what would it be? Absolutely, it would be driving fast through developments especially when kids are playing on the front lawns. It is definitely a source of stress for me.


If you could make one mixed CD that would be the only music you could listen to for the rest of your life, what songs would you put on it?
"Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkle, " Santeria" by Sublime, "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" by Paul Simon, "Jump Around" by Cypress Hill, "Stir it Up" by Bob Marley, "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce, "Ob-la-Di, Ob-la-Da " by the Beatles, "Bust a Move" by Young MC, "If I had a Million Dollars" by The Barenaked Ladies,"Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger.


Special thanks to Amanda for being the very first Profile of a Parent. Amanda and her husband are not only terrific parents to two of the most beautiful children, but they also happen to be an amazing couple....just sit in on one round of the Newlywed game and you'll quickly know why.


Send your Profile and a picture to: dalessandrochristine@gmail.com

No comments: