Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Not a Bad Idea


Not so long ago, a friend of mine told me a nightmarish story about how her young son was almost hit by a car. She was in the process of loading her youngest son into his car seat while her older son wandered away into the busy parking lot. She grabbed him just before a too fast car nearly swiped him, held him tight, yelled at him for not staying by the car, and cried the whole way home.

That’s all I had to hear. I was determined to work out a loading and unloading system when I was confronted with managing more than one child. I didn’t anticipate how hard that would be for those times I was not using a stroller or shopping cart. Then, another friend shared her trick with me and I thought I’d pass it on…

As she loaded one child in, she would place her diaper bag about a foot away from the car and have her other child stand between the bag and the car. She would instruct him to guard the bag and he would never move.


I'm happy to say the strategy works really well, so long as you don't mind your Kate Spade, Petunia Pickle Bottom, or Fleurville getting a little dirt on the bottom...a small price pay for keeping your little ones safe.

By the way...did you know Prada actually sells an $1100 diaper bag? Considering my diaper bag looks like it has barely survived a nuclear assault (complete with a mushroom cloud that follows us around), I can't imagine spending that kind of money on anything unless it changes diapers, babysits, and gets immunized on my children's behalf. Who would?

I think I may know one person.....

No comments: