Thursday, April 9, 2009

For the Love of Lexicon


One of my favorite things about language is its transiency. Phrases, trendy words, and cliches float in and out of our lingo-sphere reflecting cultural identity, age, regionalism, and even self-characterization. They have life, they die out (though some people are less willing to let them go than others), and then they often enjoy a resurgence.


Some of these phrases I love, some I find amusing, and some I cannot stand (e.g. come with?, I'm just telling it like it is, anywho, etc.). The new, probably American Idol influenced phrase that is driving my crazy: "strip it down".


For example: "You know, I love Tina Turner, and so I was trying to just take the song, strip it down, and make it my own."


Why does it sound it sound like some sort of an assault? Why not use "reworking", even "deconstruct"?


It just sounds like something a wanna artist says without really knowing what it means....like a teacher telling a story to take a chill pill, or a middle aged boss telling his college intern not to be all up in his grill.


That being said, if someone thinks they could take "Clementine" and strip it down, well, that's something I'd like to hear.

3 comments:

Chris F said...

Word up. This post is the bomb, and the points you make are so money and you don't even know it.

Totally rad, fo' shizzle. Fernandez out.

Samantha said...

I think you mean "da bomb." ;)

One Maid A' Milking said...

The best part is that you two are among the least thug people I know....and I love it!

Word to your mother.

Bounce.