Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chicken-gate: Part I

After calling almost everyone I know who either knows chicken, eats chicken, or can imitate a chicken, I narrowed the search down to three local farms (thanks to my favorite farmer's direction) and will begin my morning by trying to convince one of them to give me a "loaner".

You see, since the whole scandal over people buying chicks for Easter and then abandoning them to a horrible fate, pet stores stopped carrying them and farmers are hesitant to send them off. This presents a very tricky reality for me, a well-meaning mom, who wants to contribute to the best mom party ever (and uphold my teacher pride).

If I am forced to actually buy a chick, that will eventually become a chicken, what do I do with it come 12:01 tomorrow?

My husband has already laid down the law: If there is a chicken in our house when he gets home from work tomorrow, I'm in serious trouble. It doesn't matter that having one would provide a teachable moment, a ready pet, and convenient, free breakfasts, his message was clear.

No chickens.

So, I am going to buy a chicken and then return it...whether they'll give me my money back or not.

Stay tuned for ongoing developments.......

1 comment:

Meg (MU) said...

I wish I read this first- maybe you should tell hub that chickens lay eggs...think of all the money you could save in the long run. You could even get an organic chicken laying machine like they did on Keeping Up with the Kardashians?