Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Brother Abroad


PBS ran a series about "War Letters" and the American experience through war. The series features actually letters, galleries, and the follow-up with the letters' original authors.


It is powerful, compelling, and heart-wrenching. A history not left to lofty historians, but to the people who lived it, saw it, and even died amid it. Click HERE to view the site.


And now, an excerpt:


"Dear Sir,


For twenty-two years I have carried your picture in my wallet. I was only eighteen years old that day that we faced one another on that trail in Chu Lai, Vietnam. Why you did not take my life I'll never know...Forgive me for taking your life, I was reacting just the way I was trained..."


Resolution Luttrell wrote this letter and left it at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. along with the photograph he'd kept. In March 2000, Luttrell travelled to Vietnam to meet with the daughter of the man he met on the trail in Chu Lai.
This is Day 54.

No comments: