Tuesday, February 3, 2009

This is Dedicated to the One I Love.....

In honor of his birthday, the Song of the Day is Pearl Jam's "Alive", which also happens to be one of my husband's favorite songs.

Though I can't stand Eddie Vedder in most instances, I'll acknowledge that Pearl Jam's songs appeal to me and leave it at that. (I hate it when obnoxious artists get me to love their songs).

Anyway, like a lot of Gen Xers, I began listening to the Seattle sound in high school (shout out to Chris Ogle and Gabrielle Langholtz), but it wasn't until I met my husband in our college years that I developed an appreciation for them.

He taught me that:

1) This song, "Alive", is actually based on Vedder's own life experience of believing his stepfather was his biological father. When his mother eventually broke the news to him, his real father had just died of Cancer. She reassured him by saying, "Well, at least you still have me." (Listen to the first line of the song). Pearl Jam's "Better Man" is based on the stepfather.

2) I learned that Kurt Cobain had no idea there was a deoderant sharing the name of his most famous song, that the motto of his hometown of Aberdeen, Washington is "Come As You Are", and that the FBI is considering reopenning the case in his death; pursuing it as a potential homicide. Think a long held secret is starting to crack Courtney? Click HERE for the crazy story.

3) The movie Singles was actually made before the Grunge thing exploded, and Pearl Jam's appearance in it was actually before they were Pearl Jam. At the time of their involvement, Pearl Jam was still called Mookie Blaylock and Ten hadn’t even been recorded yet. Hollywood didn't know what to do with it until Grunge became big and then they released it.

4) Francis Bean, the child of Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain has some interesting godparents: Drew Barrymore and Michael Stipe. Hard to believe Kurt was on foodstamps just a year before they made it big....

If you're into this stuff, feel free to pick my husband's brain....he loves to talk about it while I just wish one of these had been a question on the Jeopardy! test.

Oh, and I never got a call.....shocker.

Happy Birthday!


No comments: