Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Brother Abroad Meets Quote of the Day

"They carried the soldier's greatest fear, which was the fear of blushing. Men killed, and died, because they were embarrassed not to. It was what had brought them to the war in the first place, nothing positive, no dreams of glory or honor, just to avoid the blush of dishonor. They died so as not to die of embarrassment."

The above quote was taken from Tim O'Brien's acclaimed novel The Things They Carried. Though I read the book many years ago, it is one of the few I can't shake. Right up there with The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and The Sound and the Fury, it is not a book I would list among my favorites....just one that kind of haunts me; the kind that I can distinctly remember finishing and not ever wanting to read again. These books are very well written, very riveting, and very disturbing all the same.

Of course, I highly recommend all three.

This is Day 90.

No comments: