Friday, February 13, 2009

Mommy Tantrums

Yesterday I proposed compiling a soundtrack for mothers in crisis: songs to survive the daily tantrums, whining, and hair pulling accidents that drive us to the brink of insanity before we quickly forgive and forget after a sweet "I love you" or any other adorable gesture that forgives all.

I had planned to compile the list throughout the day, expecting inspiration from the inevitable fight over the day's wardrobe, especially picked for a certain Valentine's party.

We didn't even get that far.

A restless night and mild cold meant a fight over breakfast, a fight to go upstairs, a fight to brush both hair and teeth, and a final fight over getting dressed.

By the time we got in the car, I was done with songs, and done with fights. I rarely engage in them (she's three and I'm almost 33....), but after the same struggles every morning, I finally found myself exhausted, frustrated, and running out of options.

I know I need a new approach, but I just can't figure out what it should be. I lay out clothes the night before, I give lots of time to get ready so we can move along at an easy pace, and I never overreact. I just set up basic consequences and I try to follow through without anger. I am firm.

And that used to work very well.

But not so much anymore.

And the thing is, she is such a wonderful little girl....I can't say enough.

And I guess that's why these recent morning struggles are so frustrating.

Feel free to pass along any ideas.

No comments: