Friday, June 27, 2008

The Votes Are In....

So the votes have been in for some time...and the results are kind of surprising. Realizing that this particular blog does not necessarily reflect more than one or two demographics, I thought the numbers would be closer given the fact that Barack is enjoying the expected bounce following his attainment of the Democratic nomination, and the fact that one of the most important factors weighing on the votes of Americans is the war in Iraq. McCain won this particular poll with 75% of the vote.

Though I am as close to a political analyst as I am to understanding what "No Jake Brake" means, I do have some concerns about both candidates.

Obama- Why tout yourself as potentially the first African-American president? Yes, that would be an unbelievable accomplishment, but you are interracial, and that is very significant too. In a country that has found itself pretty divided, wouldn't the choice to run as a representative of more than one race be that much more unifying?

McCain- As a prisoner of war, you have more than proven your claims as the next great Commander in Chief, but why make the comment: ""Make it a hundred...That would be fine with me." -to a questioner who asked if he supported President Bush's vision for keeping U.S. troops in Iraq for 50 years. Yes, I understand that you meant it isn't about the presence of troops. We have troops in Japan, Germany, and all over; but those troops are pretty secure. It's about casualties...I get it. But STOP saying stuff like that...you'll give my mother a heart attack already.

And to prove I'm an equal opportunity offender, two absurd quotes offered by the distinguished candidates:

"The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should. I've got Greenspan's book." -McCain

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think I've one left to go." --Obama


Yikes.

I will be posting this poll again mid-election, and again on election day to see how well our little blog-o-spehere reflects the nation at large.

No comments: