Monday, June 23, 2008

The First Year

Saturday marked my son's first birthday, and though the year has been quite a whirlwind, I simply cannot believe how quickly the time has passed.

As he starts to say words, point at different things he wants, and generally respond to the world around him, I am as excited by his advances, as I am equally eager to hit the pause button and hold onto these fleeting moments.

All of this reminds me of an interview I read years ago with actor and comedian, John Leguazamo. In the interview, he was asked about fatherhood and what it was like to have children. He responded:

"The days are so very long, and the years are so short."

I remember thinking what an interesting response it was, having no idea how true his words were. I think of all the times I glance at the clock, eager for a break at the end of the day. I think of all the minutes I waste doing so many other things instead of just sitting with my children and enjoying our time.

And as I constantly capture every one of my children's moments on film, I can't help but wonder if, in all my preoccupation with wanting to preserve these memories, maybe I should just put the camera down and live in them.

No comments: