Monday, April 14, 2008

Profile of a Parent


Consider this posting my newest weekly segment. Each Monday I will post a profile of a fabulous mother I know (or don't), just like the one below. I used myself as an example for the first one (despite being far less fabulous than the mothers I will highlight in the future). I would love everyone to contribute so we can start connecting a little bit better....so, just cut and paste the questions with your own respective answers to an email and send it with a picture of yourself (current or baby picture) to dalessandrochristine@gmail.com


Profile of a Parent


Name: Christine- "Mama", "Weaver", and "that woman" (a moniker given to me by the librarian with whom I came to blows at a certain reading hour)

Mother of: Olivia and Joseph, 34 months and 9 months, respectively

What You Did Before You Were Someone’s Mommy: Taught high school English, enjoyed boredom, slept late, thought I knew what it meant to be tired, dressed better, lived in Center City, and
partied like a rock star (at least until 11 pm)

What You Do For Yourself Now: Freelance writer, Blogger, torment my husband, and I occasionally shower when I have the time

What is your favorite thing about being a mother? Knowing that, at least for a little while, I am someone's world. Songs at breakfast, blowing bubbles, fashion shows, walks, flower picking, bear hunts, making cookies, getting hugs, tubby time, bedtime stories, and the last kiss good night are just pieces of the best (and hardest) day I've ever had. (And people ask me what I do all day?!)



What is the one thing you wish you’d known before you had children? How hard it is to make time for anything else.


What would you do with an extra free hour in your day? I thought about saying sleep, but I would be too excited over having another free hour. I think I'd just read something not related to parenting, blogging, or work.

Who are your go-to people when you have a parenting question? My mother (for everything) and Julie (for health and "Is this normal?" questions)

What is the one thing your child(ren) do that always makes you smile? Watching Olivia meet someone for the first time, and watching Joseph clap hands and get so excited when he and his dad roll the ball back and forth. (This was tough to determine just one).

Who is your favorite fictional mother? Kitty Foreman, That 70s Show


If you could be someone you know for a day, who would it be? I would be Danielle and move myself into the house for sale two doors down.


If you could ban people from doing something, what would it be? Talking loudly just so other people can hear them, buying hummers, cheering for the God-awful Boston Red Sox, treating their kids like second class citizens, judging others on their momy-style, and capris (kidding).


If you could make one mixed CD that would be the only music you could listen to for the rest of your life, what songs would you put on it? "Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne, "Almost Lover" by Fine Frenzy, "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" by Ottis Redding, "The Old Apartment" by Barenaked Ladies, "America" by Simon & Garfunkel, "This Year's Love" by David Gray, "Making Memories" by Keith Urban, and "Always on My Mind" done by Willie Nelson......at least this week.
******Special thanks to Shirley Magilton Photography for helping me to look less like bovine at two weeks post-partum!

No comments: