Monday, June 9, 2008

A Very Special Day


One of my closest friends also happens to be an unbelievable mother. I first met her when I stumbled into our very first Music Together class. My daughter was just about 15 months and I was in a panic about being late, finding the right classroom, and trying to keep the clip in her hair that kept slipping out.

As I rushed in with just a minute to spare, I did a quick scan of the classroom to assess my potential position. The room was filled with moms and small children, seated in a circle on a brightly colored mat, headed by an overly enthusiastic teacher and her electro-harp.

My eyes settled on a brunette with an adorable, blue eyed sweetheart who seemed completely secure (if not attached) to his mother's lap.

She looked normal. So I sat next to her that day, and every Wednesday after that.

We slowly made acquaintances as she laughed when I made jokes at the music teacher's deserving expense. Our children also happened to be polar opposites. My little social butterfly was always dancing in the middle while her little man rarely left the comfort of her lap. He was too cute for words, and my girl seemed to adore him too.

When the 10 week session came to a close, the two of us, along with two other fabulous mothers decided to form a playgroup in order to capitilze on our mutual compatibility. This decision led to the first real friendships for our children, and a tremendous bond between us mothers.

Weeks into our playgroups, my friend revealed something that completely shocked me, though I am not sure why.
She told us that Zachary was adopted.

I had no idea. Their bond was so apparent, so conclusive, and so natural. I know that there should not be a way to tell when children have been adopted, but this mother and child seemed so completely connected, I never would have guessed....

And that is exactly the point. From the moment he was born, a mother had found her son and this son never knew anything other than complete, unconditional, maternal love. They were each other's greatest blessing...and Zachary's father, Dave, happened to be blessed too.

The family was complete. Not because of blood, biology, or labor....but because of one simple, perfect miracle.

And today is his adoption day. Zachary's parents decided from the beginning that his adoption will never be a secret that they will someday reveal; it will always be a celebration of their life as a family. And so today, June 8th, marks the celebration of Zachary's adoption day: the day a judge made it official what his parents had already known in their hearts and minds.

And, because she is so completely wonderful, my friend Debbie will provide an account of their experience in her own words later today on this blog.

Happy Adoption Day, little buddy!
You have been chosen by your parents and you are adored by your friends.
*Special thanks, as always, to Shirley Magilton, for capturing him as I first remember him: completely happy in his mother's arms.

























No comments: