Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Peek Into The Future


Every morning, while my little man takes his first nap, my daughter and I play a little, bake a little, and just enjoy some down time before jumping into the business of the day. One of her favorite things to do is play hide and seek.


Her version, however, is slightly altered from the conventional game.


She counts to ten and comes to look for me (as is expected); however, instead of actually finding me, she wants me to jump out from my hiding place and scare the beJesus out of her.


She screams, and then falls to the floor in a fit of uncontrollable laughter....and I love, love, love to watch her do it. It really never gets old.


This morning was no different.


What was different was the little revelation that opened itself up to me after the three thousandeth surprise: her developing personality is becoming more and more apparent.


She has always been very curious, extremely social, pretty tempermental (she is female), relentlessly maternal, slighltly possessive, and very much a scorekeeper. However, this daily game also suggests that she will:


Love roller coasters

Bask in the excitement of Christmas

Revel in the surprises of life

Seek out scary movies

Challenge her fears

And, with hope, greet the world with an adventurous, arms wide open approach.


Perhaps I am drawing a lot from a little, but as an English teacher, I am a natural moth to the great metaphor of life and all its symbolic dressings....and I just love watching my little ones grow.


I used to think a staid family life in the suburbs kind of meant the end of excitement, which was a more than fair trade for my tastes. But, it seems, the excitement is really just starting....and I know more than a few of you out there agree with me.




No comments: