Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nature's Entertainment


I recently read an article in The New York Times about how American children are losing their connection with and appreciation for nature. Gone are the days of exploration and discovery. Staring up at clouds, investigating bugs, rolling around in the grass....basically a summary of my summer thus far.

But the points of this particular article were well-made. Computers, computer games, television, and so on are all taking up hours of the day that were formerly occupied with outdoor games and curiosities. I am aware of this and perhaps that is why I make sure we spend as much time outside as possible.

Though I really love the time outside, there are so many games and so many times on the swings before my creativity starts to wane. We water plants, play in the sand box, name clouds, bike, scooter, pretend mow, and so on.

But what is the best, most reliable activity? --- Our butterfly bush.

This purple-flowered shrub attracts hordes of butterflies through the day on the late summer months and both of my children are completely entranced by them.

Needless to say, if you're like me and running out of things to do outside (and you'd rather do anything other than blow up the kiddie pool again), pay a visit to your nearest nursery for one of nature's best forms of entertainment.

No comments: