Friday, May 23, 2008

Painting My Cheeks Red


I really don't embarass easily. I have been sticking my foot in my mouth for so many years now, there really isn't much that can cause me to blush, to stammer, or to ever strike me silent.


Unfortunately, yesterday's visit to a local paint store provided a rare opportunity for all of the three to occur.



While haggling with the salesman over a special order, my daughter stood next to me and my diaper bag as I shifted my son from one hip to the other. Caught up in the conversation that was quickly becoming heated, my daughter took the opportunity of Mommy's distraction to rifle through my diaper bag.


Snacks, sippy cups, books, random crayons, and a few other items...nothing of great value or potential harm (except, perhaps, to my pride).


After what must have been only a few moments, a small line of about 5 contractors assembled behind me, all male and all preparing for the day's work ahead.


It was at this point when my daughter, ever the curious cat, posed a very loud question to her distracted mother:


"Mommy, what is this?".


Not realizing what she had been up to, I spun around only to find her standing a la Statue of Liberty raising aloft the one thing from a purse that may cause a woman serious embarassment.


Three men looked away, one man coughed, and the last turned a shade of red that would have worked well in the kitchen I was trying to put together.


I knelt beside her, gave her a big smile as I slowly opened her grip and returned the item to its special place and whispered,


"It's Mommy's magic wand."




No comments: