Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Having A Way With Words

Consider this my newest weekly installment. Each Wednesday I will pick a typical situation in which someone makes a comment about your parenting, your child, or any general, unsolicited advice, accompanied with a desired response and an appropriate response.

For example:

The Comment: Observing that your child is not advanced in his or her verbal skills, the stranger says, "Gee, he's not much of a talker, is he?"

What You Want To Say: "No, we just encourage him not to talk to strangers or morons and you happen to represent both."

What You Could Say: "I know. I guess he's just been too busy finishing his first novel to really work on developing his oral communication."

What You Should Say: "Gee, I hadn't noticed. How long have you been working with children?"

No comments: