Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Positive Reinforcement


As trumpeted by every parenting magazine known to moms, it is important to provide consistent and specific words of encouragement and compliments to ensure that your child's confidence and sense of self is being positively reinforced.


I have always kept this in mind when presented with an ambiguous drawing, any physical feat (jumping over a rock, hopscotching, etc), or those occasions when sharing is actually applied without direction. I am a veritable Queen of Encouragement.


And to say that it's worked, well, is a bit of an understatement.


This morning I overheard my daughter singing a made up song that goes like this:


"I love myself....I'm the star.....I loooooooooooove myself becuase I AM the staaaaarrrrrrr."


Postive Reinforcement?


Check.

No comments: