Thursday, September 25, 2008

Misquoting

Two days ago I posted a rambling reflection about my experience at a concert for The Band. In that post I mentioned a very commonly misquoted line from the song "The Weight".

Many people (including me until that day), believe the line reads: "Take a load off, Annie."

The actual line: "Take a load off, Fannie."

In fact, this is such a commonly misquoted line, if you Google the lyrics to the song, half the results say "Fannie" and the other half say "Annie". Shout out to Rolling Stone for providing the right answer.....

Misquoting a song is a common occurence, especially given the trends in shouting, slurring, and the intentional disregard to grammar (e.g. "Everything she do just turn me on" and every hip hop song ever made).

All of this got me thinking about kid misquotes. Among my own daughter's gems:

"The sun'll come out tomorrow, betch $5 that tomorrow"

"Cinderella, Cinderella, night and day it's Cinderella, clean the bushes, mop the dishes..." and 1,000 variations thereof.

And, of course, the bedtime prayer:

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray my Lord my soul to keep, and if I find a fish in the lake...."


Anyone else?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

While singing "Twinkle twinkle" instead of saying "up above the world so high" Lily sings "bup,bup bup bup world so high." And she says the Pledge of Allegiance a different way every time.