Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A little heartache in the afternoon....


Though Olivia thoroughly loved dance class, she'd also been expressing quite a bit of interest in gymnastics thanks to the impressive feats of her older cousins. Not wanted to stymie her interest while also not wanting to "overbook" my 4 year old, I agreed to let her take a gymnastics class over the summer while dance was on hiatus so that he could try both on for size and then choose one in the fall.


God knows soccer is right around the corner.


Needless to say, we were headed into her gymnastics class the other day (a class where she is the youngest and most vocal) and she let go of my hand in the parking lot. I looked at her and extended my hand in silent reminder that a parking lot is serious business.


She looked at me and said, "I don't want to hold your hand anymore."


Ouch, ouch, ouch.


Wasn't this the girl that always wants me to watch, to hold, to read bedtimes stories????


"It's a parking lot....hold my hand," was all I said, feigning indifference to her remark.


She then looked steadily around, clasped my hand, and skipped the rest of the way to the studio.


Is this a case of older girl influence, or is she already becoming of the age when she doesn't need her Mommy as much?


I'll hold onto the former, thanks.

No comments: