Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Votes Are In...


Summer, though not my favorite season, is as much a state of mind as it is a climate change. It is hot temperatures, backyard fun, margaritas, trips to the beach, long days, and walks after dinner. It is sundresses and sandals, bubbles and barbecues. It is also a great time for music.

Blasting from car radios or live performances at an outdoor concert, the sounds of summer are as catching as the ice cream man's truck intends them to be. Each year a new song vies to be the summer song, with this year's overwhelming choice seeming to be the curious, "I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry. However, there are always the standard summer hits, and though I realize a lot were not included on the list, I threw in the obvious ones, as well as my own favorites.

And the results are in.....

Clearly the Philly crowd that overwhelming represents my audience has spoken. The city's native son created an anthem that is ideal for summer, regardless of your respective tastes. "Summertime" came in first with 8 votes. Classic DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, would you believe this song off the Homebase album was released 17 years ago six days ago?! Time flies.....

Second place belongs to anything by Bob Marley. Mr. Rastafarianism is not only a cultural icon, but also the herald of warm climate control. His tunes are sincere, serene, and speak of his own identity, which seems to speak to a lot of people despite its unique form.

Third place is shard by Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville" and anything by the Beach Boys. Interestingly enough, both choices are never not on the radio, but also seem to appeal to a very specific audience. Parrot heads and beach blanket bingo-ers are constant fans.

Finally, "Santeria" bu Sublime came in last, which means my vote only enjoyed the company of one. I don't know why I love this song so much, or why it makes me think of summer, but it does. It does, it does, it does. Unfortunately, since Bradley Nowell died from an overdose days before the song's respective album was released, Sublime's contribution to summertime jams will end there. The band was the perfect blend of ska, reggae, and hip hop, and not many have quite captured such a unique sound since.

On to the next vote......

1 comment:

Amanda said...

C, I was the other vote for Santeria. It reminds me of the shore. What's not to like.The lyrics include Punk Ass, Pop a Cap and spending a million dollars. Where's my Natty Lite?