Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Father By Law, And So Much More

Though in-laws in general tend to get a bad rap, my own happen to be pretty terrific. I guess that never should have come as a surprise since one of my first impressions of my husband was how sincere and valued he was.

He worked hard, he never followed the crowd, and he was already a young man filled with conviction, integrity, and faith. He was all of this while most of our peers were measuring their manhood by their ability to perform a three minute keg stand or wear unlaundered clothes for weeks at a time. He was unique.

And then I met his father.

John Sr. has a very strong and striking presence that quickly softens as soon as he speaks. Ever ready with a warm smile and a great joke (which I seem to appreciate more than most), I instantly felt a genuine fondness for the man who would eventually be my father-in-law. He laughs easily and often, he is generous and kind, he is intensely loyal and fair, and he is a man of his word.

He taught my husband to always keep his eye on the ball, the importance of honesty in business and in life, and what it means to be a good man.

For that, and for being a part of my life and the life of my family...eternal thanks.

Happy Father's Day, Poppy.






No comments: