Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Book Worm

Though my status bar to the left has listed my current reading as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the truth is that, up until three nights ago, the quirky bestseller had remained untouched on my night table, awaiting the completion of the book I was actually reading: Her Fearful Symmetry.

The follow-up to Audrey Niffenegger's unbelievable first book, The Time Traveller's Wife, I grabbed Her Fearful Symmetry with the hopes that Niffenegger might offer a repeat performance and successfully distract me from the Twilight books, which enjoyed a month long obsession.

Unfortunately, it was not to be the case.

I wouldn't so much as call it a sophomore slump as the premise of the book and the central conflict were fantastic and very original. I also love history, which made for potentially great subplots given the primary setting of a Victorian cemetery and all the creepy stories that come with it. That unfulfilled potential, however, along with underdeveloped characters (save for Martin) and flimsy follow through left me not caring all that much about the outcome.

I wouldn't at all say it was a bad book; just a flat follow-up to an amazing one.

C+

On to the Zombies......

No comments: