Thursday, October 9, 2008

Study Break

So I took a break from my project to check the Phillies score and score a snack when I was startled by a Direct TV commercial.

The commercial was based on the scene from Poltergeist when the little girl was seeing things in the television. They somehow morped her in (I'll have to defer to Chris F for the correct jargon there), and she turns to her father who is played by the original actor, Craig T. Nelson (who employed a pretty crazy hair dye job to recreate his character) and says something about their terrible television service.

I cannot tell you what she said exactly, or how he responded, because Iwas too repulsed by the whole commercial. Didn't that little girl die when she was still very little? Is it really appropriate to now use her to sell Direct TV?

I guess I'm off the mark on this one....sleep deprivation will do that to you. I guess it's no different than using any actor posthumously (Celine Dion sang with Elvis, for crying out loud); I guess I was just put off by the whole tragedy of the thing.

And this is why I should stay on my blog-cation until I am lucid enough to ramble about things that make sense.

See you Monday.

4 comments:

Julie Weaver said...

I don't think the little girl died...it was the big sister in the movie...but I might be wrong. If she is dead that's pretty creepy...I hope her family receives royalties.

Amanda said...

Yo, I totally was creeped out by this same commercial last night. Not for the same reasons as you. But b/c it brought back my scary memories. And I think it was her that died, along with the little boy I believe. Very creepy and unappropriate.

One Maid A' Milking said...

I did some investigating and confirmed that she did die of some mystery illness when she was 12. Also, the girl who played her teenage sister also died by drowning soon afte the movie was filmed.

So creepy.

Anonymous said...

The actors who played Kane and the medicine man character (perhaps in the sequel) died mysteriously as well, I believe.

And my 7 year-old saw the commercial as well, and won't stop asking questions about it... the "They're here" tag line, the snowy TV, Carol Ann and her dad, what's coming out of the TV, etc.