Friday, November 6, 2009

Keeping Dreams Alive


Olivia came home from school today and told me she knows what she wants to be when she grows up. She then asked me to guess.


My head began to spin with all the possibilities for my highly gifted and talented daughter...(doctor, nuclear engineer, stay at home mom) and so I just drew on the housewide vaccination she'd recently conducted on all her (and Joseph's) stuffed animals for my guess.


"Veterinarian?"


"Nope. I get to wear red and wear a shiny hat."


"A fire fighter?"


"Yes, can you believe it??"


Actually, I can't. Not wanting to dare dash any of my sweet pea's dreams, I decided against mentioning that she's terrified of the fire alarm and freaks out at the sight of smoke. She also refuses to go into her one cousin's bedroom after learning that he'd stuck a coin in the outlet months ago (when she was not there).


"That's a wonderful idea!" I agreed, remembering that at her age I was still undecided as to whether I wanted to be a stunt woman or real estate agent. Neither panned out.


No comments: